MUSEUMS OF KOCAELI
First steps to establish a museum in Kocaeli were taken
in 1938. Archaeological findings from excavations at the
site of the Izmit Paper Factory and other works from the
region were first stored in Merkez. They were then stored
in Sumer primary school. In 1947 some of the works were
taken to the Istanbul Archaeology Museum. In 1965 the
historical Hunting House, which was being used as the
Governor's Residence, was repaired and became Izmit Museum.
The museum was opened to the public in 1967.
Abdulaziz built the Hunting Lodge in which Izmit Museum
is housed in the neo-classical style between 1861 and
1865. It is a two-story building. The ground floor contains
archaeological works while the upper floor contains works
from the Ottoman period.
the right of the entrance on the ground floor are exhibited
a marble bas-relief depicting a chariot race in the Hippodrome,
grave stones, and statues from the Roman period; under
the stairs are Islamic and antique inscriptions, and busts;
to the left of the stairs are statues. In the central
show case are ceramics, a gold ring and various grave
objects found in a tumulus in the eastern necropolis of
the upstairs hall are 19th century palace objects: A console
and mirror, a clock and candlestick set, and in the cases
inkstands, kettles, water jugs and bowls, healing sups
and a gilded Koran.
the room to the left of the hall is exhibited furniture
carrying the coat of arms of Sultan Abdulaziz and Islamic
coins. The room to the right has been arranged as Ataturk's
bedroom, since he stayed in this Lodge on June 18, 1922
and January 16 1923 when he came to Izmit.
the garden of the museum are Roman statues, the lid of
a tomb, an Ottoman period shipyard inscription, sacrifical
altar stones from graves, pieces of columns, and sarcophagi.
Municipality of Yarimca, a sub-province of Kocaeli, established
a museum which was opened to the public in 1974. As well
as archaeological and ethnographic works the museum also
contains modern pictures and sculpture. An important part
of the collections were donated by Avni Ozture.