MUSEUMS OF SANLIURFA
first museum depot was established in Urfa in 1948 in
a room of a primary school. In 1956 the objects were moved
to the ground floor rooms of Sehit Nusret Primary School
and put on exhibit. When these rooms became too small
a new museum building was begun in 1961. The works were
moved here when it was completed in 1965. The new museum
opened to the public in 1968.
Museum consists of two exhibition rooms. The small room
to the right of the entrance contains statues, steles,
column capitals, bas-reliefs, sacrificial altars and masonry.
The large room contains ceramics and small metal, bone
and stone objects from the prehistoric ages to the Greek,
Roman and Byzantine periods, pieces of mosaics from Urfa
Necropolis, excavation findings from Harran-Sultantepe,
and ornaments. One section of the room contains ethnographic
and Islamic period works, including manuscripts and inscriptions,
carpets and kilims, metal jewelry etc.
garden of Urfa Museum contains columns and capitals, friezes
and pieces of statues, grave steles, inscriptions, clay
water jars, Seljuk and Ottoman period inscriptions and
grave stones found in Urfa, Viransehir, Nizip, Harran